It’s almost November! And a final burst of sobriety for Ocsober.
To keep you on the straight-and-narrow for the final few days, here is a delicious non-alcoholic recipe for a British summertime classic: Pimms. It was developed in the 1820’s by James Pimm. It became a huge cocktail favourite in fashionable society, partly because of the gentle alcoholic lift and partly because it was weak enough to drink all afternoon!
You will find a jug of Pimms in most social gatherings in the UK over the summer. And let’s just say, anytime is Pimms time … It’s Pimms O’clock!
This non-alcoholic Pimms recipe was adapted from The Gluten Free Lifesaver.
A bit like a fruit salad in a glass, this will add some British fun to the South African summer.
(1 serving) – to make a larger batch, multiply the quantities and serve in a jug.
4cm English Cucumber
Good pinch of orange zest
Small handful of strawberries, hulled and quartered
Small handful of mint leaves
40 mls chilled black tea
40 mls good quality ginger beer
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp dark, soft brown sugar
- Brew a mug of black tea and chill in the fridge until needed.
- Prepare the fruit: Slice and cut the cucumber. Hull and quarter the strawberries and zest one small orange. You can add pieces of orange if you like as well.
- Mix the ginger beer, black tea, balsamic vinegar and sugar together. Making sure the sugar dissolves properly.
- Add the ice, chopped fruit, good pinch of orange zest and mint leaves to a tall glass and pour over the ginger beer mix.
- Top up the glass with lemonade. Give it all a good stir with a cocktail stirrer.
- Garnish with strawberries and mint.
As they say in the UK … Bottoms Up!