A pair of well-fitting spandex workout tights. Full-length. Capri. Cropped. Very sexy and fashionable, thanks to the Athleisure movement.
Spring is in the air, here in Jozi. And its time to update your workout wardrobe. Sporty Little Number has hit the shops and found the latest workout leggings, putting the bounce back into your jump squats. But don’t rush in just yet … a few handy hints before choosing your next pair.
1. Make sure they are not see-through! Exercise can put you in pretty compromising positions. This should not be a spectator sport.
2. Make sure they are made from high performance fabrics. They need to stay dry when you are working up a sweat. Visible sweat patches are not a great look, particularly in the crotch area.
3. Know what suits you and choose the right size. This might mean a size up! The tights need to fit comfortably around the waist (not squeeze you till it hurts) and they need to allow movement.
4. Versatility is key. Choose good quality tights that can be used for multiple activities: a 20km run or stretching out in downward dog.
5. Be bold! Pattern and colour is your friend! Pattern in the right place can lengthen legs and slim the thighs.
Update your look with these fun Nike leggings. A graphic, floral detail will add interest without being over-powering. Built for comfort, style and sport, they will see you through from workout to cappuccino.
Shop – Asics Women’s Training Long Tights – Total Sports, R749.00
These tights from Asics will become a workout staple: suitable for most workouts from running to yoga. In a punchy purple, the tights also sport a mesh panel behind the knees and a graphic print design on the fabric.
Shop – Tough Girl 7/8 Tights – Lorna Jane, R1299.00
For the closet GI Jane, these camouflage leggings will work hard! They are sweat-wicking, quick drying and best of all will flatten your tummy, thanks to the internal power mesh panelling around the abdominal area. The high waistband has a secret pocket to stash your goodies.
Shop – Nike Women’s Printed Epic Run 3/4 Crop Tights (Blue) – Nike Stores, and Total Sports, R799.00
Power through your next workout with these funky blue viper print capris from Nike. The dri-fit fabric provides a secure, comfortable and moisture-free fit. And the high waistband offers a small pocket for essentials and extra coverage when you bend and stretch.
Shop – Adidas Ultimate Yoga Tight, Midnight Blue – Adidas Stores and Total Sports (not online currently), R799.00
Ideal for yoga or pilates, these eye catching 7/8 tights will add some zing to your look. Made from a breathable, jersey fabric, the yoga pants allow for a wide range of movement without restricting your pose.